Antifreeze?

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
djoptix
4000 rpm

Antifreeze?

Post by djoptix »

What's the best antifreeze? Mine loses a bit of water and I'm worried it might be running on plain water by now - it lost quite a bit last winter. Just occurred to me! How much should you put in to take care of a full system?
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

i use total 'genuine citroen antigel' from gsf. quite cheap. 3 bottles' worth (1 litre each) sloshing around in the system should suffice. don't forget to use rainwater / deionised water, to guard against furring.
Toddman
Administrator

coolant

Post by Toddman »

It is best to use the genuine stuff like Rob says as we all know what can happen to alloy blocks and heads if not looked after.

Will be flushing and refilling mine before winter comes round again.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

i got mine from the wholesalers at £8 for 5l, blue star or something! i normally tend to drop a bit more antifreeze in than suggested but thats more me than anything!!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

You might be interested in browsing through this off an Aussie French car forum as regards coolants, corrosion and stray currents.
There's also a link to another article I pinched a while back from a waiting room at a radiator and exhaust shop.
All makes very interesting reading and included photos of in one case a water pump out of an Mi16 that has had a certain coolant in it all it's life.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38618

Alan S
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

I don't know what happens to them when run on plain water. But I don't want to find out :( I think I'd better flush and re-fill it soon!
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."