Gear linkage

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
csg100
3000 rpm

Gear linkage

Post by csg100 »

For the first time the BX left me stranded today :(

Went to put the car in reverse to get into a parking space at work and the gear stick suddenly felt like it was stirring a bowl of porridge - no gears at all. Since I was dressed smart for work I couldnt really do much so got a lift home tonight and will go back tomorrow morning to have a look.

Anyone experienced this before? Is there part of the gear linkage that like to break/fall apart? I'm hoping it'll just be a case of popping a joint back together, as really cant afford to be spending any money on it at the mo!

Cheers
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
1988 Volvo 360 GLT (for sale)
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'm hoping it'll just be a case of popping a joint back together
Thats all it should be, they have a tendancy to drop off. Take some tie wraps with you as well.

Cheers
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

Had the same problem on mine last year, i expect 1 or both of the ball joints on the linkage have come apart that are underneath the car not far from the gearbox pop it back on and should get you home. Mine were both worn so had them replaced to be sure.

Don't worry it wont cost a fortune :lol:

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
ed_straker
3000 rpm

Post by ed_straker »

Easy job, that's true. You'll get the linkages new from your local Cit dealer.
Honda Civic Type S
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I have also done that, lost all gears on a streetrace :(
Replaced all links with solid metal and the linkage feels more solid after that.
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

Cool, that's what I was suspecting TBH. Had a quick look in the engine bay and the 2 linkages on the 'box looked like they were attached still, but couldnt be sure. Will take a jack with me in the morning and sort it out!

Cheers guys
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

csg100 wrote:Cool, that's what I was suspecting TBH. Had a quick look in the engine bay and the 2 linkages on the 'box looked like they were attached still, but couldnt be sure. Will take a jack with me in the morning and sort it out!

Cheers guys
Its probably the long rod coming from the stick that have jumped off, seems to be most common.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

had one of mine pop off on the box end before too! simple repair as just plugs back on!
Make sure you have a sheet or something to ly on in the car parc too as its bound to be wet loL!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Mine do it all the time.

(Que video of Santa Pod from Luke :oops: )
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

It was the the longer little link that attaches to the box. Sorted in a couple of minutes. Phew!!!
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
Toddman
Administrator

linkage

Post by Toddman »

Kitch wrote:Mine do it all the time.

Think it might b eup on the mainsite but you went on to tame that GT turbo with your modified repairs though 8)

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Kitch
5000 rpm

Re: linkage

Post by Kitch »

Toddman wrote:
Kitch wrote:Mine do it all the time.

Think it might b eup on the mainsite but you went on to tame that GT turbo with your modified repairs though 8)

Cheers
Luke
He still beat me because my modded repairs played havoc with the gears. Went to put it in 3rd and found 5th :(
He blew his turbo trying though, and I overheard that was supposedly running about 180bhp :lol:
Toddman
Administrator

GT

Post by Toddman »

Aah the ever so reliable GT turbo :P

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

Just a comment on these that I wonder if others have noted.
We had problems with the TZi just after we bought it, dropping linkages. Being where I am, new ones were proving a problem to get so I decided to take a closer look and discovered that when they move to engage a gear, the cups on the ends tend to rotate through about 70 - 90 degrees. One end of each linkage is adjustable and the actual cups sit on various angles to each other when off the car. If that angle is too wide for the position when on the car, as a gear is selected, these linkages rotate as I said previously and the angle of the rotation can take it past where it bears on the lower part of the ball it connects to and can actually lever the linkage off.
It's a case of trial and error as you need to slacken the lock nut on the adjustable cup and rotate it a few degrees, tighten, refit and test. Once it's right, I then peined the outer edges of the cups before pushing them back on permanently.
Hard to describe in words, but wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem or found this peculiarity with these linkages?

Alan S
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Had similar, they generally only twist under load if the rod is bent, which happens when fast fit clutch changers lever them off in the middle! never actually adjusted one just put them back as they come off - neat trick to crimp them for extra life tho :)