Just to say hi, now with pics what do you think?

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Chin up matey! as the rest have said! they are all relatively simple fix's!
fortunately as you have the looky like a deisel model it means that bumpers and the like are a lot easier to come by! where the rust has bubled fromt he rear door area is where the bodykit bits join and is comon place! what you could do if its only effectively surface rust is clean it up with a wire brush and use some Krust rust stopper! then coat it over again with white!
alot of the m go around the exhaust hanger! my back box is held on with some rope around the cross member!! :D
most of the other rusty bits look like they can be cleaned up and withany luck wont be that bad! a few of us on here have fully undersealed their cars to help prevent this happening agaiN!
the hydro leaks can more thsn likely be sorted easily too! and i suspect the suspension can be sorted rising wise by a flush through and filter clean!
there is mucho advice and many helpful peeps on here!
if you were in my vacinity i would offer to polish her up for you! but it is a bit of a treck to me am affraid!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

Hello and welcome,

Car does not look to bad for the money you have payed for it, i'd be made up if i'd got a Ph1 £250. As has been said, plenty of peeps to give advice and find spare's on here so just consider it as a project.

I thought i'd found a bargain with my Ph2 but it cost me a small fortune to get it up to scratch, bit of body work and tidying and you will have a nice car there mate.

Good luck with it

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Big thanks for everyone input on this, the responce is awesome :D

Thats that then, its going to get sorted, iv always wanted one of these so lets have it!

its all to easy to get side lined and loose hope but with everyones kind help im willing to give it my best shot.

Mike if you could get a white phase 1 bumper that would totally transform the car!

Thanks again to everyone

Here's to many weekends in the garage :cry: (i love it really)

PS will get a list together and post it on both sites asap, so if anyone breaking one im after bits....

Massive thanks
adie
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

And even if you decided not to take it on, many on this forum would snap your hand off at £250 for it, so seriously mate, this car is never going to be a loss to you :wink:

I paid £400 for my 16v and it was the best £400 I've ever spent.

Do you want that mirror then?
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks good to hear,

Sorry for to responding yes I would love the mirror, the one thats currently in their is held in with a wood screw and silicon (real old man repairs!)

Just let me no postage details and how much you want and ill get a cheque off asap unless you've got paypal?

Cheers

Adie
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

Comedy :lol:

I'm not sure I have the fixing screws, so you might have to find some suitable ones.

I'll post it first and let you know how much it cost. Paypal is fine, will PM you.
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Ha :D

If you think thats comedy....his only siliconed the sunroof up because its was leaking :roll: .....cheers! :shock:
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

lol! got to love old man fixings hahahha! chances are that the sunroof drains front and rear are blocked causing the drains!! os the carpet damp around the passenger footwells?? normal place for it to settle! also if the drivers and passenger foot wells are a bit damep would indicate fropnt drains blocked!!
my mirrors are held in with larger than normal bolts i beleive as they had a habbit of wobbling a smidge ont he std ones!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Anonymous

heloo

Post by Anonymous »

hya m8 and welcome to the bx gang! as the guys have said for the money u have spent u have got a car with a hell of alot of potential keep at it and it wont take long b4 its back to its former glory and i can only echo the fact that people on this site are here to help> I can safely say that we all have some aspect of our cars which we secretly know could do with improving so keep at it and enjoy! an iconic 160hp car for under 400 quid bargain whatever the conditon!!! :lol: :lol:
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hey there,
welcome to the club. and hi to everyone else ive been gone for a while but im back. 8) i see you have some little pickles with your 16v. if you need body parts i could possibly help you alot! i have a ph2 which im soon collecting all new doors + bumpers for. obviously im changing my bumpers because my current ones are in need of fibreglass/bodyfiller repairs. and 3 of my doors are in need of tidying. because of scratches and little dunts but nothing huge. i had some small rust problems with my doors but solved them last summer with rust eater and hammerite. well anyhow you can have them all for nothing if you want but!! bear in mind they are ph2 parts and im at the other end of the country. but in about 2 or 3 weeks if you want you are welcome to them. also remember they are in need of repairs/tidying but if you plan to take time to sort your car then they could save you lots.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Toddman
Administrator

BX

Post by Toddman »

Bit slow from me but neen away for a few days this and last week.

Adie I have a couple of sunroofs if oyu need any bits :D

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Cheers luke :D

Will let you no.

i will try and cut the silicon off clear the drains and see if it works

cheers

adie
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

None of the rust is right "through" the metal yet, but if you take an angle grinder to it, you may find you get a couple of small holes.

You will need to sort the seam rust (in the front doors and the inside arches on the rears) out soonish if you want it to last.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Point taken about the rust :evil:

Ive put some jelite on the affending sections to help stop it spreading before i can grind it out and re-paint.

On the subject of rust ive found a small hole in the boot :?
in the right corner of the floor near the light.

To be honest ive seen alot worse on 16 year old cars (my old xr2 and mk1 golf gti) so im not worried will just weld a plate in.

Might be worth checking your cars though.

Cheers Adie
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

16vadie wrote: Might be worth checking your cars though.

Cheers Adie
I think every bx owner did check that spot, they seem to rust all at that place :wink: