sorry but an MI16 AUTO!?

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Tim2cv
3000 rpm

sorry but an MI16 AUTO!?

Post by Tim2cv »

I know its a 205 but i couldnt help but look. An auto 16v?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-205-Gentr ... dZViewItem
TIM
2CV6 1986
AKS 400 Super ;o) 1300cc!
Ami 8 1971
Xantia Exclusive credit crunch 2.0
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

has been on there a fair few times that one!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
csg100
3000 rpm

Re: sorry but an MI16 AUTO!?

Post by csg100 »

I hate to say it, but I like the idea of that. Lose the subs and the wapping great big exhaust, clean it up a bit and I reckon that would make a decent daily driver. Nice and relaxing to drive in traffic but with a good kick when you wanted to push on.

Just across the Water from me too!

Shame a BX had to be broken to do it though! :(
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
1988 Volvo 360 GLT (for sale)
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

Two things concern me.
1: DIESEL driveshafts.
2: It obviousley will have the ZF 4HP box. I really dont think I'd want to run 160BHP through one of them unless the oils changed every hundred miles. Fine If you dont use the power or revs but run a 4HP at 7200RPM... :shock:
Suspect the box will have a very bright, very short life! :D

Cheers
Chris G
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

I saw a pic of an Mi16 in an auction over here that was supposedly an auto a few months back and asked questions in case it was a typo. Apparently, I discovered, there's a couple around over here which I presume were after market conversions.
I don't know that the possible life expectancy of the ZF box would be all that big a worry as I understand these also are used in Saabs, Mercs and Beemers and according to a mate I have who is service manager for a large Euro service business, they get500K klms regularly out of them.
Pugs and Cits however have had a history of short lifespans from them but until I unearthed a reason about a year ago, it seems this was the worst kept secret in the Automaotive Industry as it was caused through repairers using a totally incompatable fluid in the transmissions; those who stuck to the specs have usually found them to be ultra reliable, but having said all that, I don't know how confident I'd be of running a 16V with a slosh box attached.

Alan S
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

Ah, the dreaded DEXRON III! The devils oil!

I think most of the issues with the boxes stems from heat. The heat exchanger is crap, I reckon the best way ahead is a proper oil cooler (my ambulance has one and works well at keeping the temp down to a reasonable level).

Of course heat and DEXRON III is a sure receipe for disaster.

Cheers
Chris G
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1993 Dennis Lance 132
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

Chris,

There are boxes D3 is designed for and those that aren't.
In the case of the former, the fluid is fantastic, but in the other cases, you find the devil is in the detail, namely the specs.
The designated operating temp, viscosity, pour point, heat dissipation ability and the base all differ between 2 & 3. It has been compared to using coolant in place of LHM because it's the same colour.
In a lot of the Euro service places out here that mainly German and Swedish cars, it's a joke that the ones doing French cars all have seemed to fall for an 'urban legend' and destroyed as many boxes as they did.
Having spoken to owners of autos that suffered premature failures over your way, I also discovered that theirs had also had the same treatment, but there's a lot smaller % there because most had been run on the right stuff and of the others that had failed but not at around the 90 - 120K klms we get here, it was found they had never had the ATF changed so were victims of neglect.

Alan S
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

I know alot of agricultural stuff uses it iver here adn some commercial ( I made the mistake of uising it in my coach untill I read your post on AF, I wandered why the box and fluid flywheel (both freshly rebuilt by me) were slipping like an eel down a drainpipe).

If I remember correctley the lubricational qaulities of D III is very different to D II aswell?

As ever Alan, I'm 'umbled by your extensive knoweledge of these things!
If your ever in the UK praps you could install the air con in my BX!! :D

Cheers
Chris G
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1993 Dennis Lance 132
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

This is something I stumbled across that intrigued me as I'm not really an auto fan, but it's well worth reading.
Dex 111 had been out for years and was originally designed to use in drag lines in large open cut mines, it seems that GM knew about its abilities and as a result, reverse engineered an auto transmission for their cars and this is why the false sense of security all came about; all and sundry thought if it worked in the GM boxes it would do the same in theirs.
Ford went down a similar route with Mercon and these were supposedly incompatable with each other, however, latest releases by oil companies has seen an oil that supposedly works in both and the blender I have a bit of association with is working on a mix to use in boxes that have had D3 in them so they don't suffer from some of the weird symptoms some have shown when returned to the D2 from the D3 poisoning.

Alan S
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

Interesting stuff mate. I made the mistake of using DIII in dads brand new autobox :shock: . As soon as we saw your post on AF We dumped i and put DII in. Having changed the oil a couple of times since the box doesn't seem to have suffered for it, I hope!

Cheers
Chris G
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1993 Dennis Lance 132