dizzy cap and rotor

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Adrian E

dizzy cap and rotor

Post by Adrian E »

....or the wanders of Citroen parts pricing :shock:

Since buying a genuine dizzy cap and rotor for my phase 2 for about £75 at the time, Citroen seemed to have decided to up there ludicrous prices even further - step forward 96038183 now priced at a frankly extraordinary price of £116.50!!!

The phase one is showing signs of rough running, and by the sounds of it the cap isn't an OE one - the centre electrode isn't sprung so basically it's worn down to the point it isn't making much contact - it's probably just jumping the gap.

Cutting to the chase, are GSF now doing genuine caps (ie Ducelier sp?) and rotors, or does anyone know of a reputable source for non OE stuff that will last (ie not Intermotor!)

Cheers folks

Adrian
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

adrian, i would have thought citroen up the prices significantly because the cars gone past the 10 years since last built mark! so you may as well pic out five numbers and place them in any oreder you fancy for the price loL!

you may find if you pop into a local factors they can ge genuine gear for you?? if not they may stock something other than intermotor??
may sound a bit mad but have you tried pug for parts?? just lie and say its an early 405 mi lol! may be cheaper?? i read somewhere that they arnt too half bad in terms of cit dealers pricing???
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

That price is mad,

I use a company called CAS (Central Auto Supplies)

prices are good and they do Ducelier

Give them a go.

01933 222222

Cheers
Adie
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

I've always used GSF dizzy caps without issue. The last one I got was the real thing too!

It's true to say that that pug main dealers are considerably cheaper for some bits but not all. It's worth asking though, you may be pleasantley surprised!

Cheers
Chris G
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

cheers chaps, will get my dad on the case!

Adrian
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

GSF where selling german made BERU last week and there stuff hasn't caused me trouble!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Have spoken to the local GSF and they had a dizzy cap on the shelf, but no rotor. Have ordered one in for tomorrow or Saturday :D

The cap is BERU, although listed as Ducelier on their system! BERU stuff used to be pretty good from my VW owning days so I'm confident they'll be OK.

Tried ringing my mate who does the Magnecor leads and left a message - might as well go the whole hog and replace those as well!

Adrian
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Mines got Beru cap and rotor. No complaints here :)
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

GSF do the Bougicord leads which are essentially the standard ones.

Found out what was wrong with mine though! to get the leads under the cover on top of engine, lead 4 is bent rather sharply, my fault, take it off and it appears to conduct, back on and it isn't! New set fitted, no silly cover and it runs nicely, and have left the cover in the scuttle in case I feel like working out how to get it on and leave nice smooth curves in the leads :roll: so simple and yet so annoying cos everything tests right!

I'll just sit back and wait for something else to fall off!
Toddman
Administrator

caps

Post by Toddman »

Here is my 2 pence worth -
Intermotor caps have a spring carbon brush but sadly the outer electrodes are weak and not well insulated.
Powertrain caps have a solkid centre brush which IMHO is pitifull.
OE is best but silly money
Beru are good,I currently have one but eben they are quite pricey.

I have a Valeo arm as when a new Lucas one was fitted it turned out to be faulty causing a lot of headaches.

That new price is truly shocking though Adrian.

Bourgecord are a reasonable lead but the higher quality Mag etc are much better.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Luke

Prices for the Beru bits from GSF were £19.60 and £25 (probably plus VAT, didn't ask!)

I spoke to my friend who makes up Magnecor leads and have ordered a set - if anyone else wants KV85 leads in the near-ish future (next week or 2) drop me a line, as I suspect a bigger order wouldn't be a problem as they arrive as a kit at his place and someone gets to sit down and assemble them all!

Don't know how much they are, just gave him my card number as I trust him to charge me a sensible price for them.

Cheers

Adrian
csg100
3000 rpm

Re: caps

Post by csg100 »

I've used a Facet cap and rotor arm on mine. Never heard of them (unless its the same Facet that do fuel pumps), but they were cheap at less than £30 for the 2. Seems to do the job ok for now.
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
1988 Volvo 360 GLT (for sale)
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Solid state distribution the way to go?

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Solid state distribution the way to go?

Owen has this on his Bx, and I hope to take some notes so I can look into fitting this on mine sometime. Should not be too difficult.

Mike
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Yep, ZX coil pack and an ECU = away you go!
Toddman
Administrator

coilpack

Post by Toddman »

Indeed :D
The mod would be to use a 3.1 from an early ZX Volcane or BX GTi which has a coilpack and a MAP sensor so you loose the AFM giving better response and flow with the benefit of a coilpack as well.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch