Ongoing downpipe issues!

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
djoptix
4000 rpm

Ongoing downpipe issues!

Post by djoptix »

My downpipe is stuck on. I think I'm going to have to grind the nuts off the bolts from below :( has anyone done this before?

So frustrating, I have a complete exhaust system sitting waiting to be put on! Going to get it on ramps on Wednesday so I really need to get it off that day somehow.

Question... How long is the spring join? I'm going to have to buy it some new bolts.
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

AFAIK you can buy the fitting kits that include the bolts,springs and gasket, about £30 last time i had one, was a few years back tho.

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

i had to grind the nuts of mine as one of mine was solid! but typically french it was the one you cant get anything big into lol! so the dremel was used!! took a whil;e but worked okay! then used a long bar to knock the bottom washer off the spring to release it!
would be worth getting a fitting kit as jezzie said! they have all the bolts in and springs! as when i did my new ring the springs i had were to long!! but also worth then fitting them do them up full then crack them of a smidge! tends to stop them seizing to the end of the thread!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Toddman
Administrator

exhaust

Post by Toddman »

Yes the kits are still available IIRC even GSF do them - they usually come with a set of springs.gasket and several pairs of different length bolts as the kit is for several models.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Timmo wrote:i had to grind the nuts of mine as one of mine was solid!
:shock: Sounds painful Timmo :twisted:
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I take my car to pieces so often nothing gets chance to seize!

Cheers
Chris G
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

I think I've found the required kit with GSF.

I have no Dremel, any other suggestions? Apart from buy a Dremel ;) I'm trying to foresee tomorrow eve but I thought maybe if I removed the gear linkages I could get under the downpipe with an angle grinder and maybe a small disc...
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

you can by all accounts get a grinder up the passenger side of the down pipe (u.k car) but not a chance in hell of getting it up the drivers side!! and thats always the one thats seized hard! lol!
i used the dremel as it was the only thing i had that was labour saving that i could get up there loL! (if you do get one make sure you have a load of cutting and grinding disc's in with it! i used the grinding disc as the cutting ones snap too easy! )
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

It seems to be the passenger side that is seized worst on mine. The nut and bolt are both rounded too :( but on the driver's side I think the nut is at least still hexagonal, so I should be able to get it off even if it means just putting a socket on and shearing the bolt on purpose!...
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
Toddman
Administrator

bolts

Post by Toddman »

Best release agent I have used is Plus Gas but it seems hard to find these days.
I would try to get a good socket on there from underneath and use anything you can to grip the top and like you say just use brute force.
Failing that a small grinder or a cheapie "20 dremmel copy from B&Q :D

Cheers
Luke
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

Plusgas is the nuts! You have to be careful where you spill it though ;)

Maybe a B&Q job will be the way forward... both nut and bolt are completely rounded.
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

plus gas is great stuff but as luke said its a pain to track down now!
i did see on one forum a guy posted about irony! 'the nozzle on my plus gas has seized'!!:D
the passenger side one you can with carful hands around the pipes at the bottom get a normal angle grinder up in there! the only thing i ofund a pain is that you always need a second person to be able to put some greif ont he top of the bolt when your trying to get the bottom off loL! either that or an additional pair of 17ft long arms! :D

if you have a long pry bar or cold chisel then you can knock the bottom washer off the spring to release the springs and get the bolt out without to much trouble! or it allows you to get enough movement to push the cup out of the manifold! its a bit brutal but its a way around it loL!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

most effective tool for these is an air die grinder or cut-off tool but as you prob dont have these either its just a case of brute force, chisels and straightforward shearing the bugggers in the opposite dirrection! miole grip the top shaft and blast the air gun on the nut......
Its often easier to get a driveshaft out of the way first for nice clearance, its even easier still to bung your tyre garge a fiver to blow it off with there Oxy acetylene :wink: you can do them from above with that!!

Incidentally the official kit from Citroen comes with loads of pertmutations of length bolts and is V pricey, any exhaust factor will have the bits from the Timax book, prob works out about 6-50 that way, and whilst the 16v one isn't alwys listed the 8v metal mesh one is the same.
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

Well, it came off, and wise words Ollie, the Citroen kit cost £18 :( damn!

In the end it was a lot easier with two! And some ramps. A combination of deep sockets, mole grips and long fingers did the trick.

Now got a whole new system on with a P2 back box. It's definitely better, but still nowhere near as fast as it should be :(

Going to retrack the AFM and see if that helps... after that it's filters, plugs and HT leads!
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
Toddman
Administrator

BX

Post by Toddman »

Good to hear you are all sorted but all this talk of slow valver worries me a tad :?

The BX 16v has a great suspension system and even when being pushed they seldom feel "fast and loose" like most quick older Vauxhalls and Fords - my mate reckoned my valver felt slow compared to his M reg 1.8 mundane LX :roll:

Looks like a RR day would be usefull :D

Cheers
Luke