Ongoing downpipe issues!

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Luke wrote:
Looks like a RR day would be usefull
I agree :D

Would be interested to see on my own car what a tight low miler makes, as it feels to be getting faster the more I drive it now.

Well done on the downpipe by the way.

Mike P.
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

RR day is definitely in the pipeline. Just too expensive right now though - I might as well do all the basics (plugs, leads, filters, fill it up with Costimax and retrack the AFM) first to see what happens.

BTW Luke - I do take your point 8) but I'm sure that at the moment it isn't as fast as it was when I first had it. It doesn't kick you in the back at 4000 like it used to :(
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

I guess it might be worth cleaning the injectors too? Because of the downpipe issues it hasn't been ragged for a couple of months, I reckon it needs an Italian tune-up :wink:
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Toddman
Administrator

injectors

Post by Toddman »

These injectors have always been renowned for doing anything other than spraying neatly that's why most pugs idle so roughly, a nice injector service ois good but usually costs around £70 for a Bosch agent to do but you can do them yourself if oyu track down the parts.

Worth checking your fuel filter as well.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

Yowza. So which parts are involved in a "service"? Nozzles?
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

if you drop them off at a service agent then they plug them in to there machiney thing and run spray pattern tests then run cleaning agents through and retest etc until they are performing at the proper patterns then afaik the sort out all the seals etc! a guy i used to sail with is a lucus trained (been there 30 years! loL! ) guy and he said its normally from £15 each injector foir the popular ones! (ours are pretty common so should be alright!!!)
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Toddman
Administrator

Post by Toddman »

The parts are -
Filters
O - Rings
Plastic Washers
Needle Baskets

Bosch agents service most injectprs with ASNU servicing but the parts come from Lucas.

If serviced properly they get capacity and pressure tested as well as the spray pattern.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch