Water woes

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
csg100
3000 rpm

Water woes

Post by csg100 »

My BX has turned into a seive :( Yesterday we noticed that the selt belts on the passenger side were soaking wet, and a bit later realised the headlining was saoking too. I assumed it would be a blocked sunroof drain pipe so went to unblock them tonight, but all of them were completely clear.

So is there anywhere else the water could be getting in? The passenger side is the worse, with the headlining almost dripping at the rear end by the speaker.
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
1988 Volvo 360 GLT (for sale)
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery
Toddman
Administrator

pipes

Post by Toddman »

The drain pipes can get disconnected from the sunroof end which I think sounds like what has happened to you hence the water in the headlining.

There are several in depth sunroof drain threads on th eold forum.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
csg100
3000 rpm

Re: pipes

Post by csg100 »

I checked the old articles out last night, went down today expecting one of the pipes to be blocked, but after taking the rear lights out and checking the rear ones the pipes are all ok. I've poured water down the sunroof channels and it all seems to come out at the end of the pipes (both front and back).
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

Carl,

First up try shining a spotlight down the pipe outlets particularly on the passengers side and look out for what looks like a black cigarrete.
I had one very similar and it turned out to be a piece of velcro that rolls up to around the size of a cigarette that comes adrift somewhere in the top and always seems to find its way into (usually) the rear passengers side drain outlet. It will allow water to pass through when tested but strangely not when it gets rain in there. When I found mine a few years ago and reported it, we discovered at the time that several others also had the same problem, so there's a chance you might find that's it.
Another trick that I think Rene found years ago was to slacken the screws around the inside edge of the frame fitted to the turret and push upwards as you retighten them. I had that too.

Alan S
Toddman
Administrator

Post by Toddman »

csg100 wrote:I checked the old articles out last night, went down today expecting one of the pipes to be blocked, but after taking the rear lights out and checking the rear ones the pipes are all ok. I've poured water down the sunroof channels and it all seems to come out at the end of the pipes (both front and back).
Drop Bob Hughes a pm as he has discovered some interesting things about the sunroof and water in the roof lining.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

Thanks guys. Have PM'd Bob, and will have another look at the car tomorrow. Alan, what do you mean when you say turret?

Luckily the car is tucked up in the garage now, so all it will be subject to is a few leaks from the garage roof, rather than the torrential showers outside!
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

csg100 wrote:Thanks guys. Have PM'd Bob, and will have another look at the car tomorrow. Alan, what do you mean when you say turret?

Luckily the car is tucked up in the garage now, so all it will be subject to is a few leaks from the garage roof, rather than the torrential showers outside!
Whoops there I go again; I sometimes spend too much time talking to spare parts guys and panel beaters and forget myself.
Turret is the roof.

Alan S
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

AlanS wrote: Turret is the roof.
Thats better, thanks :)
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

Thanks to Bob for his advice.

Had another look at the car today and found some curtain wire long enough to go up the whole pipe, seemed to dislodge bit of crap, and then I had a bit of a suck on the pipes (ooo err missus) and finally put about 3 litres of soapy water down each channel. Seems to be running out better now, but we'll see what happens when we have some more rain!!

Oh, and I've given myself a bit of a black eye whilst doing this, what an idiot!
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE