Converting a carb model to 16v power

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Anonymous

Converting a carb model to 16v power

Post by Anonymous »

HI, does anybody know how involved it would be to fit the early Motronic engine wiring loom to a 1991 BX 1.6 carb model?
I have a mint 1.6 that I wish to upgrade to series 2 BX GTi 16v spec.
The donor car is a 1990 with non CAT early type-with-distributor-adjustable CO-type. Thanks Tobytronicstereophonic
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

You will need to fit the whole engine wiring loom from the donor car, a 1.6 carb will have very little wiring.

Lable everything carefully, and take lots of photos during dissasembly.

Bob Smith's site has loads of good info on the wiring:

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/Citroen.html

The hardest part will then be routing all the cables, best to do this with the engine out.

Mike
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks, is the loom a complete stand alone unit or is it combined with other (eg instrument panel) wiring looms? Also does the Motronic system have a separate injection pack resistor and if so, where. Cheers.
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

The engine wiring looms is separate, the different BX models add in or leave out sections of wiring as required.

I am not sure what you mean by 'injection pack resistor'. Perhaps you mean ignition ballast resistor-but BX16V does not use one.

Haynes manual & Bob's site should show you what is gong on.

Mike
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

I'm scratching my rusting brain on this, but years ago we converted a CX 2400 carby to a 2.5 GTi and amongst the things we discovered (the hard way) was that the injected one had a rear mounted fuel pump and that it also had return as well as supply lines on the fuel system. We eventually did an entire loom swap including instruments as it was a daily driver so didn't have time to be stuffing around trying to trace everything, which was a bit akin to unscrambling an egg.
Never done one on a BX but suggest you take a real close look at all the options including what I just mentioned as we were in strife finding power to go from the key to the fuel pump and had to do a fair amount of mods in various sections due to the sensors in the new mechanicals that disn't exist in teh old one, although to be fair, we were trying to graft 80s technology into a 70s designed car whereas you're looking at 2 cars o approx the same era so possibly not quite as complicated, but to be forewarned is to be fore armed

Alan S