CV JOINT

Offer your parts and cars for sale here.
tim leech
7000 rpm

CV JOINT

Post by tim leech »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CV-JOINT-BX-1 ... dZViewItem

My front drivers cv joint clicks, does this look the right part guys? Will it fine mine and how hard a job is it

Thanks
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

according tot he listing it is the right one!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Looks right. But if you can get it back on without snapping the circlip you're a better man than me :P
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Are they a pain to swop? It wont be me thats doing it so have to work out how much labour it will cost me
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
am i right in thinking that c.v joints are universal in the way that you can use one on either side or are they different?? :?

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Toddman
Administrator

joints

Post by Toddman »

The outer joints are usually non sided but th einner ones often have differing steps on them where they fit into the diff housing - also remember that the 16v has a trans X style shaft an djoint that is boltd to the gearboc housing so I would expect the inner joints are indeed different on these cars.

Have a look in the manual you can download it on the mainsite

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Can I get away with changing the outer Cv as mines clicking badly. Ive changed them on other cars before and it wasnt too expensive??
Toddman
Administrator

Post by Toddman »

Depends on the car mate.
With "progress" many outer joints are now not changeable hence why you have to buy a new driveshaft - we just did the outer cv boots on the AX and you have to remove the inner joints to to them as the outer joints are integral to the shaft.

Haynes will probably tell you failing that some one who has worked on the drivetrain will know - give me a mini anyday nice solid whack and off htey come at either end.
Remember the ABS ring is on the outer joint so you need the correct shaft/joint

Cheers
Luke
Last edited by Toddman on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Its fairly easy to change it, but to get the circlip on and off is a pain. I actually left it off on my red one, because as far as I could see, it was only there to stop the joint coming off the end of the shaft when its out of the car. So I was just a bit more careful, and so far had no problems having covered about 6,000miles since.

Driveshaft is easy to remove though, I pulled it out the other night, changed the oil seal on the diff and had it all back together in about 50mins. Just gotta remember to undo the two 11mm retaining bolts on the engine mount bracket.
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

I need 2 new driveshafts I think as one clicks and the others a NON abs so thats why it dont work

Where can I get some from?
martyn
3000 rpm

Post by martyn »

Hi Tim, GSF have the L/H one @ £88 + vat and ECP don't list any for the 16v but they do list a
R/H GTi/TD with abs @ £71 + vat

I'm not 100% on whether the GTi/TD are suitable, but I'm sure someone here is :wink:
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Any XU driveshaft is interchangable AFAIK. Aslong as it has ABS it should fit. Mines got a GTi shaft on the N/S.
Toddman
Administrator

shafts

Post by Toddman »

Yup!
The XUs use the BE1 and BE3 gearboxes so share the shafts as said just the ABS ring gear that is different.

Cheers
Luke