A couple of questions

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
djoptix
4000 rpm

A couple of questions

Post by djoptix »

Been fiddling around trying to work out where the performance has gone :evil: turns out the AFM looks absolutely spotless, so I don't think there are problems there... er, but...

1. Should the arm on the AFM move smoothly and reach the end of the track? Mine is almost 100% smooth travel, but doesn't seem to get to the end of the track.

2. Why should there be nasty black oily/earthy deposits around the top of each spark plug? (a bit on the thread itself, and a lot more above the nut) And, are Bosch any good anyway?! They're due for replacement...

3. Exhaust issues continue. Facing the engine and looking down the back of the block, square on to the rocker cover etc, the downpipe appears to dive off to the right a little. Is this the way it should be? I can still hear a blow but can't work out where it's coming from :evil: there's a tiny bit from the downpipe/middle pipe join, and a little more from the middle pipe/middle box join, but I'm worried that there's more (ie the exhaust manifold might be loose)

4. Are those Megaleads that come up on the 'bay every so often worth the money? Or where do people know that give good prices on Magnecore/Lumenition HT leads (8mm)?

Help! etc.

:)
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Toddman
Administrator

stuff

Post by Toddman »

I don't like Bosch plugs get some NGK BCP7ET.
Are the plugs tight? if they are getting coked up abov ethe seat they could be suffering with blow by.
If you can't find the exhaust leaks get oyu local garage to stick it on a ramp and check around with a co2 probe.
AFM should be nice and smooth and I odubt they are meant to travel right to th eend of the track.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

NGKs it is. Mike E has some I think.

It doesn't look like coking - more just general cr*p! It really does look like oily earth :? Strange. Maybe I'll just not worry too much until some new plugs appear.
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
ed_straker
3000 rpm

Post by ed_straker »

Hmmm, are there any other gaskets than the rocker cover gasket that could keep the spark plugs from getting oily?! Saw that once on a CX, the gaskets failed so the spark plugs got oily.
Honda Civic Type S
Toddman
Administrator

oil

Post by Toddman »

ed_straker wrote:Hmmm, are there any other gaskets than the rocker cover gasket that could keep the spark plugs from getting oily?! Saw that once on a CX, the gaskets failed so the spark plugs got oily.
Yes
Under the cam cover there are individual o rings 1 for each spark plug.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

The trick with those plug rings on the CX was to cut cardboard washers for them to pack the gaskets, but on these I usually just run a smear of gasket goo around the upper and lower surfaces whenever I have them out and find that seals them off properly.
Be very careful when tightening the tappet cover also; it has to be done in sequence and in two stages otherwise you'll end up convincing yourself the cover's warped (as a couple out here have done) and if you try to overtighten the bolts and snap them, bedides being a **** of a job, it also costs A$45 a bolt out here to replace them!! :shock: :shock:

Alan S
csg100
3000 rpm

Re: oil

Post by csg100 »

When I did my gasket I went and bought the wrong o rings - well, they were the right ones in that they were for the rocker cover, but they were for the middle bolt holes not the spark plug holes. Couldnt be bothered to go back to Citroen yet again, so just put some instant gasket round the old spark plug rings and put it back together. Seems to have worked so far. No more plumes of smoke in the morning from oil on the exhaust and the spark plugs aren't getting covered in oil!

I use the NGK plugs, and they've done good so far. I use some leads from my local factors, the name eludes me but they also seem to do the job and fit well and only cost £40 (although that might have been trade). Must check the box for the make.
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
1988 Volvo 360 GLT (for sale)
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery