BX Breakdowns

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

PS the only time the TXD performed faultlessly between services was its last one, got written off, I don't mourn its passing :wink:

Ollie
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

Well the 16v let me down good and proper today and needed a recovery truck to get me home. In exactly the same spot as the gear linkage fell off a month or so ago, the clutch cable snapped this morning. I think that parking space is jinxed!

So I've had to unbury the Volvo from the garage, tax it (about 2 weeks after SORNing it) and will have to fix the BX at the weekend :( So much for saving money this month!!
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
1988 Volvo 360 GLT (for sale)
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
sorry to hear about your bad luck but just thank **** it wasnt the clutch itself. hope you get it fixed soon.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
jonsgot
3000 rpm

Post by jonsgot »

Boo

I've had 0 breakdowns this year unless you include the c*** battery lead that needs an occasion wiggle to get the car to start and the ignition barrel refusing me to let me put the key in ATM (this was a second hand replacement barrel from an older BX as my little toddler decided to hide our only key once :oops:
1990 BX16V Phase 2.
I made the 1st post.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

On the subject of removing the dodgy working practices of others, I recently had the HP pump - regulator pipe renewed in my valver. Seems the old one failed because somebody had sheared the bolts off the flow valve when trying to take it off.

So the whole thing was loose and caused the leak which gradually got worse and worse. All better now though! :D

Got the back box fixed too! :roll:
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

Well the clutch cable hadn't snapped, but the plastic mounts at the pedal end had broken, caused by the metal mount on the back of the pedal snapping off. So the day I was due to have left my old flat I was out in the garage trying get the car back together and driveable to get it to my new house! At one point I thought I was gonna have to drive the car over with no clutch, but luckily I finally got it all back together in time.

So she's back on the road for now, although she spends most of the time sat on the drive with the other 16v as I'm not driving to work any more. Which means I'm still considering selling it :(
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
BrianK
Tick Over

BX breakdowns

Post by BrianK »

May I suggest a real expert. John Hannam in Lincoln. He looked after my GS, always spotted things that were about to go wrong and I never once had any trouble on the road. Except drive shafts. But there again I did lend it to a motoring journalist. Never again
John knows BXs equally well.
I'm too old for this
Way2go

Re: BX Breakdowns

Post by Way2go »

csg100 wrote:Mine broke again today - driving along happily and all of a sudden notice the steering wheel has a few cms of play up and down. Thought the steering column was about to collapse!! Traversed a few roundabouts very carefully and pulled into a supermarker. Luckily I had my set of Torx bits so whipped the lower column cover off to try and see what was happening. Lots of play in the column, but noticed a littl bush thing poking at the end of the round tube the column goes through. With a little bit of wiggly I managed to get it back up in the tube, and all was well again. I was cursing for a few minutes prior to that though!
Did you manage to sort this problem permanently? and how?
I had this happen a few times and in the end used a ty-rap round the column under the bush 'cos I couldn't see what to adjust to keep it up there. :? Has been OK since though. :D
1991 BX Gti
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

I just pushed it back up in, and it's held for the 60 mile round trip home. Only done a few hundred miles since then but haven't had any problems. But I've left all the steering column covers off so I can have another look when I get chance (the list of jobs is getting bigger and bigger). I had the same idea - was just gonna put a cable tie tight round the column to stop it falling out.
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I had this problem on my GTI many years ago.

I pushed the rubber bit back into place, then secured it with a jubilee clip behind it.

Never had the problem again, and I had the car for many years after this fix.

Mike