random turbo's question

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
would a complete conversion be easier? what would bve involved?

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

YOu could fit a Xantia 2.0 turbo engine in but there less powerful than a 16v in standard form anyhoo!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

yeah i think i will not be removing my 16v lump especially after what ive spent on it. strapping a turbo on is the only way im going as soon as i get enough info on a few good donors i will be in the scrappers within days and probally have one with 2 weeks. then its just a case of getting it on the car.:D

rossco 8)
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Unfortunately most of the money spent on a 16v in standard form isn't that helpfull on a turboed one as most of the engine will need to come apart to lower compression, as new pistons will be reqd etc.
The turbo will also need an oil feed and so a better oil supply system, sump baffling will start to be even more important etc etc, the list gopes on
As for the management the std sytem isn't particularly bright and prob won't handle big power hikes that well, nor does it have a boost sensor or any ability to be mapped easily to adjust ign timing on full boost.
And from your other post it sounds like that may not be 100% anyway

The second hand turbo is the least of the probs, as new manifolds will be needed, and clearance down the back is very tight on the anti roll bar.

In my opinion normal power gains will be far easier with std tuning routes like free flow head, new cams and decent induction/ exhaust plumbing, maybe get a proper mass flow meter from a later type car?

In fact if you have money to spend - better to use it on a decent ECU properly set up! that way it'll be good to drive and reliable, something which I doubt a Turbo setup will manage.

Sorry to be so negative, but home built turbos are hard work, and you'd never get the fun of driving the car!!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

ok thats cool,
was just a fantasy anyhow:roll:. i would like to try it but of course if it was going to cost loads of money and cause that much hasstle then id just go out and buy a turbocharged car. so the only thing i have left to ask is what car make + model could i take and afm from and would it just plug in or would i need to change the connectors and wireing setup?? if i could just take one out a xsara or xantia and just plug it in??

cheers rossco

ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

where into guesswork on my part here but the most important thing is size, ideally you'd want it to fit straight into the existing hose, maybe try 2.0 406 or xantia, and zetec ford 2.0? once youve found one which fits you'll need to find a diagram for that type of car, and discover if its power loading and volatges are compatible? then you'd need to compare outputs at various flows - I'd prob either get a bit vacuum cleaner and rig up some sensor testers, or maybe just put the two in series on the car with a reader on the new one and a votage line out of the other.

Then draw a graph of both outputs for the same moment in time/ load/ throttle piosn / whatever. then you'd be able to build in some form of compensator, either a resistor bridge or an OP amp circuit dependant on scale down or up requirements.

Have achat with Vanny i'm sure this sort of stuff is right up his street!

Ollie
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

A MINI supercharger new from EBAY at around £120 combined with a Meagsquirt DIY fuel injection kit using Bosch hardware and possible a plate to lower comp' ration (from Payen I think) is a sensibleish way to mega torque and 200-plus BHP. How about nitrous oxide?
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hi there,
i think i would be more likely to see if i can get an afm that will plug straight on if not i will just buy another replacement as its too much hastle messing around with circuitry and wiring etc. as for nos, i would not put that in my car as i would end up blowing myself up. and try explaining why there is a big can of gas in the boot to the fiance. she wouldnt be happy about it!! :evil: i can only get away with modifying stuff she cant see or i.e adding turbo she wouldnt know the difference looking at the engine. :twisted:

rossco

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi,

Next things are needed to fit a turbo on a 1.9 16V engine:

- Exhaustmanifold
- Downpipe
- Standalone management s.a. Emerald 3D, SMt6
- Hydraulic pump linkage froma a Xantia 16V with airco, the Hydraulic pump will move to the left downside of the engine next to the oil-sump.
- replacing the battery to create space to place the turbo next to the engine-head

Fitting a XU10J2TE engine with higher boost (0,7-0,8bar) would supply more power and lower costs.
Toddman
Administrator

force it

Post by Toddman »

You need to have some good skills to do this yourself.
I looked deeply into using a mini sc even did all the calculations etc.

Simple route is IMHO -

Emerald ecu
Eaton E45 charger
Pistons from an 8v

The biggest hassle is mounting the charger and constructing manifolds to attach to it

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hi there,
sounds like a never anding story to be honest. i think i will go chips, cams, pulleys,
ecu and other stuff first. and if my thirst for power is not settled then i will probally go down the turbo route. but there obviously alot of other things that need modding first before the lump can take turbo. i will get back to everyone on this subject in year or so. after ive completed the other stuff :wink:

rossco

thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hi luke,
is there anymore involved than what you have already mentioned?? ie making oil feed pipes?? could you give me your version/idea of simplest way? please give me all the details with rough prices and i will look into it. as the way you describe it is alot easier than others. the more info i learn the better:wink:.

cheers rossco

Toddman
Administrator

sc

Post by Toddman »

It is worth trawling the old forum mate to read some of the threads Mandic got involved in.

You can easily take an oil feed from the oil prssure switch feed by just adding a T-poece.

IIRC one of th eoverseas members used a Lancia sc and there was a thread in the announcements area on the old forum all about it.

I will see what I still have stashed away

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hi luke,
ok im starting to see the bigger picture now. not too complicated but when i have all the details i will know very quickly if its something i can do or not. well fingers crossed. by the way an other member said a saab 16v turbocharger would be a suitable donor, well i phoned round the scrappers and the last one i phoned has two of them!! they want 50 quid for the turbo and 15 for the intercooler. i think thats a pretty good deal. and these cars are both rusters not blown engines.

cheers rossco 8) :D :D

ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

that price sounds very fair, you could allways buy them and sell on Ebay for a profit towards the other bits.

Ollie