what engine, bit multiple puzzled

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

I thought the later phase 2s had a gentler power curve around the magic 4000rpm mark.

Though I just remembered - Luke will point this out too, he knows more about it than I do - the pulleys on the cams have a bearing on power delivery (though not absolute power available) and some phase 1s again have a more aggressive power curve due to which type of pulleys they have.
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
well got the chip fitted today and iam overly pleased with the results. :D :D 8)
was a doddle to put it in which was good! 8) but one thing that concerned me was that somehow water/damp must have got into the ecu at some point because there was a few rusty little resistors etc or whatever they are, damp seems to have fouled the ecu mother board, im thinking that it looks maybe a little damaged and is poss why i have high idle and revvy up on starting issues. anyhow i got it in and started it and it fired up in the same usual way with its revving up but it sounded smoother and returned to idle more quickly. so well i warmed it up a bit then got a mate to take it to our local drag strip (disused airstrip few miles down the road) and my mate took his 200zx, it is a 1.8 16v turbo with 10 psi boost real rapid!!! it read 206 bhp at wheels on rolling road yesterday. anyhow i got in the valver and basically floored it not really watching the tacho i chickened out a 6k rpm as it is the first time i have evry driven my car (due to being banned :( ) but anyhow i was very very surprised at the power of the bx 16v much more torque than my olg gti. anyhow i went back i started again so this time i floored it and let the tacho run all the way round the board to near 8k then the tacho bounced and hit 2nd and bloody fecking hell bx 16v's go like feck especially when chipped and k+n'd etc. i never knew my car had that much power. it totally bombed to 90 in no time prolly under 10 secs but i didnt time it. well i went back for another run and decided to take on the 200zx which 0 - 60 is 6.5 seconds. well get this and i was totally surprised but they were pretty even to 60 but then he flew ahead of me like a rocket :evil: !! but bloody hell the bx 16v can give a real run for its money and i have never felt or driven that car with it running and driving so smoothly. well i went back again in all my excitement and done about another 10 times till i decided to give her a break. but hey for my first real drive of my car iam well chuffed. 8) 8) 8) so got it back to the garage and checked the emmisions out of worry of blowing her up and they are cleaner than ever and smell much better, she must of just needed a good clean out which she got. the only thing that annoyed me is i forgot to take videos of the drag racing in my excitement but promise to do it next time and will post em up.

well overjoyed and well chuffed, ism now sure that my engine is not worn out but actually is a beast!! :twisted: im sure i just need to get it pro tuned and it will go like the animal my mate said it used to before he stopped using it, i was never convinced it was as good as he said it was till today. :roll: 8) 8) 8) 8) :twisted: :twisted:

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
martyn
3000 rpm

Post by martyn »

brilliant to hear you've at last got to enjoy your car, now you know what the 16v grin is :D :D :D :D You just need to get it to stop know :wink: