Getting tense

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Kitch
5000 rpm

Getting tense

Post by Kitch »

Having discovered that I had a leak on the O/S of the 16v, causing the rear footwell to fill with water, it now turns out that its also leaking on the N/S. So thats two wet footwells. As a result, the whole interior is soaking wet every night due to the damp. The dehumidifier I bought now doesn't seem to be coping too well, maybe because its too cold.
It was supposed to be garaged. But if I kick up over this, I'll start an argument in the family. :roll:

Couple that to the fact that I tried to be sensible, and bought a Jap car for a few quid to runaround in as the BX needs a bit of TLC. Everyone told me how reliable they were and that I'd have no problems. I personally have no issue driving an old car....I had BX diesel which was easily the most reliable car I ever had and that was F reg.

Well after two weeks the driveshaft snapped and now I can't put the piece of sh*t back together cos the ball joint's knackered. Doesn't come separate, you have to buy a new arm complete. Expensive. And will I find one tomorrow??....will I f**k!

Not a happy bunny. Sorry, just needed a rant!
Toddman
Administrator

cars

Post by Toddman »

Not good news mate - glad the BX says W.I.P. and not R.I.P. though :D

Suspect your wet footwells are due to the usual sunroof drains. mine caused me hassle they got so wet the water shorted out my stereo amp :shock:

Must say though I always likee the look of the 2.0e

Cheers
Luke
Last edited by Toddman on Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

You can buy it if you want....I'm gonna flog it as soon as I've fixed it. I don't actually like it! :lol:

Its bland, its thirsty, its not all that quick, the ride is rock solid, its got spongy brakes, the seats give me backache, its not actually been all that reliable and the parts are expensive and hard to find.

Handles well. Built fairly well. Thats all its got going for it. :roll:

As for the BX...damn right its W.I.P not R.I.P :lol:

The new rims are here :)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Not more new rims! :shock: :D :wink:
thought you liked the stock wheels look?? or are they new std rims???
i used an air line on my sunroof drains but blew them from the back lights where the drain ends upwards! masses of pine needles came out loL! serve me right for parking close to a HUGE pine needle tree for a couple of years loL!

the primera's arnt bad cars but a lot of the 2lgt's /egt's have been ragged to death and back!! we had a few at work and like you found them to be a bit on the bland side!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
AlanS
3000 rpm

Re: Getting tense

Post by AlanS »

Kitch wrote:Having discovered that I had a leak on the O/S of the 16v, causing the rear footwell to fill with water, it now turns out that its also leaking on the N/S. So thats two wet footwells. As a result, the whole interior is soaking wet every night due to the damp. The dehumidifier I bought now doesn't seem to be coping too well, maybe because its too cold.
It was supposed to be garaged. But if I kick up over this, I'll start an argument in the family. :roll:

Couple that to the fact that I tried to be sensible, and bought a Jap car for a few quid to runaround in as the BX needs a bit of TLC. Everyone told me how reliable they were and that I'd have no problems. I personally have no issue driving an old car....I had BX diesel which was easily the most reliable car I ever had and that was F reg.

Well after two weeks the driveshaft snapped and now I can't put the piece of sh*t back together cos the ball joint's knackered. Doesn't come separate, you have to buy a new arm complete. Expensive. And will I find one tomorrow??....will I f**k!

Not a happy bunny. Sorry, just needed a rant!
Kitch,

More likely than not it'll be the rear drains that are full as the venturi action as the air blows through seems to jam everthing up in the rear drains although I managed to get a front one blocked. :roll:
If you need to access the fronts, they are hidden behind the panel that sits alongside the calf of the leg of the driver and passenger and need to be simply pulled back from inside the car. I have a pic somewhere if need be, but I think you need to remove the glovebox on the passengers side (usual ones that block) to access easily.
As regards Jap reliability; I used to manage a large Jap outlet a few years ago and as I try to tell these guys out here, they have more than their share of problems, the difference being that the likes of Cit and for that matter any French car maker is to respond with a "pffttt" and walk off when a new car buyer has a problem and hence the problem escalates in the owners mind, whereas the Japs go to great lengths to pacify the customer and then go to the same lengths to convince them it didn't exist in the first place. I couldn't convince my own mob of this, so I had one with a Mitsubishi Lancer - he's the one who just bought the Xsara VTS, one who has a BX TZi and a Pug Mi16 who just put our old Mazda MPV back into service and commented "how much money do you need to spend on this Jap stuff to make it relkiable" as it has low klms but seems to find a new fault every time he drives it, and one who bought a GT-R and now has it in mothballs since he bought a Xantia as a work car. The GT-R came as a supposed work investment as he does tuning amongst a lot of other things. He had a 16V which needs a clutch and decided the GT-R would be more reliable. He's since found a 230K klms Xantia is far more reliable and practical than a 70K klms GT-R................so you're not on your own discovering the real story behind the Jap "reliability" myth.

Alan S
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Timmo wrote:Not more new rims! :shock: :D :wink:
thought you liked the stock wheels look?? or are they new std rims???
I've had the standard ones on for about a year and a half now :P

I decided to make some subtle alterations though. I like the original ones, but I'll keep em by for when they get really really rare :lol:
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

nice one matey!
spill the beans then! what rims??? colour, size etc??? :D
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

All will be revealed next year 8)
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

I've seen them! They look good!

Cheers
Chris G
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Just seen the W.I.P on your signature Kitch :D :lol:

Mike P.
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Mike P wrote:Just seen the W.I.P on your signature Kitch :D :lol:

Mike P.
Its a very fine line between that and R.I.P :lol: