Threads on treds please!!!!

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Anonymous

Threads on treds please!!!!

Post by Anonymous »

I need more grip ladies and gentlemen!

Any suggestions?

I am currently running a bog standard 16v with budget tyres on the original 16v alloys (the previous owner must never had pushed this car not with these tryres on)

Any suggestions would be helpfull!

Matt
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

One answer - Goodyear Eagle F1 - available to fit standard size wheel in a V rating, and a full set of 4 shouldn't cost more than £200 fitted

Adrian
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Hiya,

I've had issues with this for ages but it Depends on how hard you're trying to push it really, all cars have limits!

Few things to consider,

As far as i'm aware (don't think it's just mine) all BX's oversteer, especially badly in the wet. Understeer is much less common.

Make sure you rear arm bearings aren't shagged, it makes a huge difference.

Run the tyres slightly over-inflated (mine are 36 psi all-round).

Avoid soft compounds, they rip chunks off the outer edges and melt. (NCT5's are cr*p)

Don't brake when cornering, it kicks the arse end out.

Upgrade your spheres.

NEXT!!!! :lol:

Jay.
Now listen here you mullet...
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

you should only get oversteer if you lift of midbend! understeer is a lot more pronounced int he damp! in the dry its more of a challenge to get it but mine used to understeer if your realy wellying it round roundabout witht he Yoko's on!!!

i had goodyear nct5's on and they were okay! have eagly g8 at the mo and they are also okay! the yoko's when new were the nuts but they wear Quickly! the eagle f1's adrian said are a good tyre but have heard a lot of conflicting reports about them in the wet!
if you can go for michelin pilot sports i think they are! that is if money isnt an issue! lol!
there are so many tyres to choose from htese days!
this may help with some of the slightly iffy budget makes!!
http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/marketing/brands.asp
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

I have good year eagles nct5s on mine cost me £56 each but there worth it!
Last edited by tim leech on Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichL
Tick Over

Post by RichL »

On standard 195/60x14's, I've had Toyo F3000's which were fantastic, and Yoko A510's which were slightly better in the wet but wore faster.
The Hornet runs 205/50x15s which first wore Woosung DarkHorse at 45psi (Slipperier than a teflon coated politician in a cash for honours scandal), quickly upgraded to Toyo Proxies F1 which, IMO, weren't a patch on the cheaper F3000's for grip or wear. Michelin Pilot Exalto's (cheap from Costco) followed and were an order of magnitude higher, the Proxies being relegated to the back.
Due to a minor kerbing incident (ABS failure at 60mph going into a hairpin) and damage to the lower wishbone bush (over 6mm toe out) the Michelin's wore out quite quickly (on the inside, anyway) so the Toyo's were refitted and following reccomendation from ex-16v owner SteveY, Avon CR1's(I think) purchased for the rear. I meant to run the Avon's in, but wound up getting more Michelin's for the front instead.
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Timmo wrote:you should only get oversteer if you lift of midbend! understeer is a lot more pronounced int he damp! in the dry its more of a challenge to get it but mine used to understeer if your realy wellying it round roundabout witht he Yoko's on!!!
Maybe it's just my suspension setup then but my back-end always breaks away well before the front even thinks about it... and believe me it takes insanely fast roundabouts to do it. I like it this way, just nail it & correct the steering & keep going, (it's a very different story in the wet though, best not to get to that point in the first place) :lol:

I'm not so keen on the understeer... overcooking it into that nice big roundabout just lifting off to hope the front rubber's got enough nobbly-bits to grab some final grip just inches from the armco... :shock: Done that too many times in the XR3i
Now listen here you mullet...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I've got Goodyear Eagle F1 205/45/16" and Toyo proxis T1S 195/50/15, both are super!
Toddman
Administrator

grip

Post by Toddman »

Best bet is to lower and stiffen the suspension and get some good rubber - i don't rate Goodyear neve rhad never will.
Toyo Proxy are good though and sensibly priced.

As for the tail end breaking away I used to suffer the same understeer was never an issue.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Eagle F1's were my tyre of choice because of their performance in the wet - in monsoon conditions, with lots of standing water, the BX still felt 100% planted - on the old tyres I would probably have exited stage right into the central reservation.....

Before anyone says they don't last long, I managed to get 16,000 miles out of mine, and the fronts still had plenty of life in them when I sold the car - the rears were like new.

The BX is a light car, so isn't particularly heavy on tyres compared to modern cars. Unless you're taking it on a track on a regular basis I don't see anyone having a problem with wear that isn't typical to all directional tyres.

Adrian
Toddman
Administrator

rubber

Post by Toddman »

I would not say Goodyear were bad I just don't rate them.
You need a tyre that suits your driving, I currentky run Avons nad I ahve to say although supposedly a good tyre they are a liability in the wet

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Also don't rate Goodyears, various eagles are OK but its a brand youre paying for as much as a tyre! so Cannot assume they're good value.
Most NCT's I've experienced have been crap in the wet and and worn out.

I too run Avons, currently ZV3 which are long lasting and predictable in both wet and dry, they may not be the best around a dry track but theyre virtually the same in the wet!
Used to run ZV1's which where better, but are now out of production.

Have used Yokos on a TD and they wher awesome for outright grip, shme they lated about 10000 miles.... rather than the 20+ of Avons
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

I went to Michelin Exalto's over the summer (uber uber silly double discount deal from Costco) on silver gti alloys (think there 185 which is the smallest you can get Exalto's in and had to be special ordered :( ), and my god there fantastic coming from 165 michelin energies. But as a general tyre, there very good dont get me wrong, and remarkable in the wet, but all in all there not worth paying for! I can happily get the back end squirming all over the place in the dry with a derv engine, i've deffinatley seen and driven on better.
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

As an aside my other 16 has Michelin energies on it, virtually new and they mat be quiet and long lasting but theye are dangerous!! about as much grip from a 196 as my old 165s on the TD!!

Ollie
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Toyos are very good. Also, so are Continentals. There was a good article in Auto Express which gave some suprisingly high ratings to some cheaper brands. You local library may have back issues. Check bottom arm bushes for wear, also bottom ball joints, as any play can give interesting handling, especially on acceleration. Finally make sure ride heights are correct.