OIL IS LEAKING HELP PLZZZ

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi last week my middle exhaust clamp came loose and the pipe came out. naturally it was gettin dark so i left it for a 'tomorrow' job. a week later and i finally decided to get on with it but to my dismay found a savage patch of oil beneath the engine. It appears to have dripped from the gearbox area but isnt visibly dripping at the moment any ideas?? any comon causes?? if its gonna cost lots i may have to sell 4 spares or repairs? any interest?? i would appreciate the help.
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Firstly decide if its engine oil or gearbox oil. Gearbox oil should be Amber in colour with a really strong smell and quite thick.

If it is gearbox oil it's probably the driveshaft seals, but check the engine & gearbox haven't seperated at the bottom (broken bolts).

Mind you, if your considering selling at such an early point in the problem then you've probably lost interest by the sounds of it?

What is it & how much d'ya want :lol:
Now listen here you mullet...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

its amber yes so is probaly gearbox seems to be coming from the d/s seals too is this expensive usually wat does it involve?
Its a K reg in red with 118k on it the driver side wheel bearing needs doing and cam belt in around 5-10k although i have the belt ready just to be safe! an oil filter too. paint is ok fades a bit on the rear quaters polishs up nicely though. other wise is in average cond i spose with a bit of cash in the righ places it would be a minter will need an accumulator too plays up a bit. Im tryin to be honest mate its only stuff u wud see anyway if u came to look at it make me an offer ill consider it. oh yeh previous owner added a aftermarket front bumper looks nice too.
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

If it is the seals then it's no big deal, they're only a few quid each IIRC and all you got to do is whip the shafts out to replace them (a couple of hours work) then just refil with oil.

Don't be tempted to drive it tho or you'll knacker the box.

The wheel bearing's a pig :?

Bit worried about 'having the cambelt ready just in case'.. if just in case ever arrives it's probably too late :shock: :lol:

I was only fishing for another motor, probably can't afford another one :cry:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

lol what i ment was i have the belt earlier than its due to be changed just in case it wanted to snap earlier than its 38k lifespan (im told)
trouble is im no mechanic so a coulpe hrs work aint so simple for me plus how to get it to the garage without driving it what a shitter i love this car just it loves goin wrong!! gis 650 its urs!!
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

.......'i love this car just it loves goin wrong!!'

All part of the experience :lol:

Any mate with a bit of nouse & some tool would be able to do it, the only tool you'd need which isn't commonly found in the average toolbox is a 45mm socket, but you can pick one up for a tenner.

A few miles won't do too mus=ch harm if you take it easy, i just meant don't go thrashing around!

Thats a 'yellow brick road' out of my price-range :)
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

NOT 45mm, 35mm!! if its only dropped alittel there will be plenty left in for aslow drive to a garage, who should be able to do both in an hour, if you get desparte I'm in B'ham and thats not far! selas are different both sides and must go in square.

Ollie
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

ollie wrote:NOT 45mm, 35mm!! if its only dropped alittel there will be plenty left in for aslow drive to a garage, who should be able to do both in an hour, if you get desparte I'm in B'ham and thats not far! selas are different both sides and must go in square.

Ollie
Soory, hit wrong button :roll:

That's the arthritis setting in :lol:
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

If your thinking about getting the cambelt done, DO it! i thought about it for mine then it went Ping! (it just happened to be raining too and half a mile out of a village when i had no vredit opn my phone!)

.......'i love this car just it loves goin wrong!!'
Well, its french! what more do you expect!:D
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

ok well thats certainly summat to think about where abouts in b ham?! so where can i get the seals from? will any motor factor sell em? cheers
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

35mm easy to get hold off? WHERE? 36mm is stocked in halfords and draper stockists, but i've not yet found a 35mm (but thats a correct size) and in fairness to do a drive shaft seal on the O/S you only need an 11mm, 13mm, 16mm, and 18mm socket, there is absolutley no need to undo the driveshaft nut at an extra cost of gawd knows what for the socket, whip the hub off and move the whole thing the 3" it needs to travel!
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Vanny wrote:35mm easy to get hold off? WHERE? 36mm is stocked in halfords and draper stockists, but i've not yet found a 35mm (but thats a correct size) and in fairness to do a drive shaft seal on the O/S you only need an 11mm, 13mm, 16mm, and 18mm socket, there is absolutley no need to undo the driveshaft nut at an extra cost of gawd knows what for the socket, whip the hub off and move the whole thing the 3" it needs to travel!
I got my 35mm at the local factors for £9 IIRC or try this for a tenner: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAPER-35MM-1-2-S ... dZViewItem

Yep you'r right, don't need to undo hub nut to do the seals, i'm a confused old rambler (i did all the boots when i stripped mine out, hence undoing the hub nuts) :roll:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well im gratefull for ur help all of ya'll and u have pursuaded me to persavere i have booked it in as im no mechanic and have few tools they are gunna do the cam belt oil and filter the d/s seals both as im told u buy them in pairs 15 quid i was quoted (for the seals) and have a play with my front sus to try and stop it playin up. They are supplyin and fitting a wheel bearing too all for £350 or less i hope less all depends if they pull fingers out and get on with it!! is this around the rite price?? 35p/h labour cost i have the belt and filter all other bits they are ordering. The shockin part is that i have to sell my motorbike (daily commuter) to fund my speed addiction!!!! check it out its on ebay the link follows::

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1985-KAWASAKI-KH1 ... dZViewItem