16v Alternator

Make requests for parts and cars here
Jezziebx16v

16v Alternator

Post by Jezziebx16v »

Think my alternator has chucked its towel in, probably due to the stereo. Got a new battery to try but the fins on the pulley are burnt looking so i'm sure its the alternator.
So anyone got a known good one ? also is there a direct replacement thats a bit more powerful i.e. off a Xm or something and am i right in thinking that the air-con models have a higher rated alternator :?:

Thanks Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Hi, I have a good one here.

£20

It will be a bit costly to post though.

Mike
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Aircon more highly rated? I didnt know that, my car has aircon albeit its disconnected!

I think mines faulty as the battery light doesnt work and I have changed the bulb.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

from what i know there are only two alternator sizes for the BX, 50amp and 80 amp. 80amps are found on the turbo diesels, and i would have assumed that they are on the aircon models but i have not found any indication of aircon BX's having a bigger alternator rating (though every other car since aircon was discovered has a bigger alternator for the aircon models so i would assume the 80amp alternator gets fitted).

Biggest i know of on a french engine is the 120amp as fitted to a Xantia Activa with aircon. The bracketing on the BX wont take this alternator (its air drawn (fans on the inside) rather than air forced (fans on the outside)), however it should be pretty easy to take the mounting plate off an aircon Xantia and fit that to the front of the 16v engine without any problems (Xantia aircon models have the AC pump at the very bottom, the alternator in the middle and the pump at the top)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

As far as i know the amp's don't matter.

I've got a diesel alternator (80 amp) in my 1.6 and functions properly....the 50 amps one broke down.

The only thing that matters is the pouly for the drive belt.....with or without powersteering i believe....5 or 6 ribbens on the belt.
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

marx-7 wrote:As far as i know the amp's don't matter.

I've got a diesel alternator (80 amp) in my 1.6 and functions properly....the 50 amps one broke down.

The only thing that matters is the pouly for the drive belt.....with or without powersteering i believe....5 or 6 ribbens on the belt.
Jez want's an uprated one to improve power while he's Tumpin' his tunes so it don't kill the battery so quick & replenishes it faster.

Vanny's right in that the TD has an 80a, I have one in the White one for the same reason as Jez wants one which i got from a scrappy for £20 so shouldn't be too hard to find one Jez.
Now listen here you mullet...
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

the alternator of a ZX 1.9D fits as well, but I don't know how many amps it delivers
You can't spell slaughter without laughter ->I just love my 16V<-
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

mechuccio wrote:the alternator of a ZX 1.9D fits as well, but I don't know how many amps it delivers
should be an 80amp but it would have to be the early ZX as the later ones swapped to the fan inside and different bracketry (real early Xantia diesels will have them too (i mean early as in K and some L plates))
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

Cheers for the replies chaps. I think Vanny is right in that there is only 2 types on the Bx, checked the haynes book and it seems that its the batteries that differ from model to model.

So Vanny/Jay am i right in thinking that the 16v has a 50amp unit and the air-con 16v has a 50amp :?:, the Haynes is not that handy really.

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

i know that the 1.9 8v on the 309 used a 70amp alternater and iirc the 16v should have the 80????
jezzie, couold alwyas look for a 2 farad power cap to help out with the tunes! nearly got one for mine but had to downsize the ice! :cry:
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

A 60 amp altermator will provide you with 800w of power continuously and will recharge the battery despite the headlamps & ignition current.
Obviously short winter journeys take it out of the battery quickest.

The battery will provide plenty of peak currents for the pumpin' bass,
I suggest fitting a new and/or bigger battery before a bigger alternator, and fit heavy cables between the battery and amplifiers if you have not done so already.
This will save power and reduce voltage drop.

Starting issues on these cars often are solonoid related, and the extra relay from the starter switch helps the solonoid bang over when the battery is a bit flat.
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Try a browse through this site for info on alternators and starters - can usually work out which newer model can donate the correct part!

http://www.woodauto.com/
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Mike E (uk) wrote:
I suggest fitting a new and/or bigger battery
Bosch Silverline 6PN is what you want, it's for a Xantia TD lovely and big, and you'll get change from £40 if you get one from Costco, with a 4 year guarantee!

Great website that Adrian, has quite a bit of useful information on there!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
ive always had power issues with my car cos my sound system so i have a big diesel battery in my car but even still it doesnt always start.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
what you need is the ultimate power kit!

http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ryscl0.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=genybj8.jpg

never defeated :D

rossco :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)