Custom ReMapping

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
jayw
5000 rpm

Custom ReMapping

Post by jayw »

Been trawling the 'net trying to find a company (prefferably local) that could do a custom remap on my car.

Trouble is, all the one's i find seem to favor only newer motors with OBD/OBD2 systems. Not only that, but they all seem to be mobile and i would have thought setting up can ONLY be done on a Dyno?

Due to recent discussions i'm assuming it IS possible to re-map these so does anyone know a man who can?
Now listen here you mullet...
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

Jay,
Could be worth giving Northampton Motorsport a call, as i remember Luke spoke to them about this a while back and AFAIK they have just got hold of all the equipment to do what your after plus they obviously have a rolling road.
Would be a bit of a day out and a trek for you, but they are a nice bunch from what i've seen.

01604 766624.

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

the motronic is obviously NOT OBD compliant, which would be loevely if ti was! With the motronic its possible but VERY expensive to edit the maps in real time, in practise the chip that holds the instructions in the ECU box has to come out, be edited, and put back in which is unsurprisingly a labourious task!

So you've pulled the eprom out (its a 27C128 with 128k of memory and is UV erased, it can be swapped i think for a 29C128 which is electronically wipeable), and you happen to have an emprom reader lying around (i like the look of with Willem EEPROMmers) and you've read the contents into a bin file, thats the easy part!

Next is the seamingly impossible part, you now have a file full of data, its in 8 bit HEX so thats a good start for decoding, what you need to find is the FUEL and IGNITION maps and anything else you want to change (like the rev limiter), and this is like trying to find a needle in a japanese super tanker filled with rice! Its some one in the know that will know which sections of the file do what, then you simply change the maps, erase the eprom, write the data back into the chip and put the chip in the car!

Dyno's are only good for initial setting up, assuming you have a working car, then doing the whole setup on a dyno is a little bit pointless, great you have increased power and torque, but you'll never know if this is useful until you get the car on the road! The pro's can do a lot of this 'magically' if you just tell them where you want more power, but i bet anyone worth there salt will still take it for a real drive!

Try looking for people who will remap older BMW's as many of them had Motronic systems, as do the odd Volvo and loads of Alfa's.

I have stacks of info on the topic and will write it up befor ethe end of the month for all to view!