Suspension

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
jayw
5000 rpm

Suspension

Post by jayw »

NOT that i'm planning anything, just purely curious...

If the 405 Mi16x4 used a hydraulic rear beam which can be swapped onto a BX, does that mean the standard 405 rear beam (torsion/shock) also fits the BX?

My mate still has his Mi16 so i had a look at the front struts which appear to be similar in dimensions to ours so do they fit without modification?

In essence, does the standard 405 suspension fit the BX?
Now listen here you mullet...
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

i've been told that it can, based on the pure measurements, but to my knowledge no one has ever actually done it! Changing to 405 suspension would of course completely defeat the point of having a BX in the first place!

What you really need to try is fitting Activa front struts all round, now that would be an interesting engineering project. (the 4tc uses SM struts in the boot, but i think the subframe and wishbones are all custom, there has also been a Xantia racer which had McPhersons all round, but it also had its radiator in the boot and all kinds of other crazy mods!
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

I remember reading somewhere that the BX Touring cars didn't use the Hydraulics, that's what made me curious as to what it used and whether it was a setup borrowed from the 405.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
i would go about doing a 405 suspension conversion only if i had 2 bx´s. cos there is not only one point in having a bx in my opinion. the suspension is one thing but it is a pain in the azz. it would be good to have a bx 16v with springs as it would prolly be pretty problem free as its normally the suspension hydraulics that let it down but i wouldnt convert my only 16v as i would miss having the hydraulics.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Actually most of the BX's appeal to me is purely it's styling. I'd love it just as much with Springs & servo brakes. AND it would probably last forever!

And doesn't the 405 have it's handbrake on the rear wheels?

One has always dreamed of doing a handbrake 180 with a burnout in a BX :lol: :lol: :lol:
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

Over here, the touring car BXs as run by privateer Peter McLeod in the early 90s and possibly the most successful in the World in their day, winning races at Mount Panorama (Bathurst) including beating on more than one occasion the late Peter Brock (in conjunction with Tim Harvey IIRC) in factory backed Mi16, used some kind of adjustable damper that could be adjusted from inside the car.
I am still trying to get hold of some of the action including a part of the race when Brock was talking to the commentators via the in-car camera and mike and commented on how the 16V was "cornering flatter than a can of Sardines" and went on to then comment "how are we supposed to compete with something like that?"
Which makes me doubt that the BXs over there would have gone to a Pug style suspension.
Guy Frequelin, the current boss of Citroen Sport, apparently had McLeod and some of his crew over there as guests of the company and there were long and involved discussions on the mods they made and the effect they had on the handling.
A posting by McLeods son I sent to I think it was Julian Marsh who from memory may have it somewhere on Citroenet which should give a bit more detail to this summary of what went on.

Alan S
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Well Alan, if You come by this mod, let me/us know.

Ragarding the 405 rear frame, the answer is no,

Mi16x4 and T16 have different shell! as they use BX beam and not modded 405 beam, so even swaping stuff from Mi16x4 to normal Mi16 is a no-go.

Cheers

Ziga
Image Don't run your life on diesel
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

Actually Ziga, IIRC there was a guy from France(?) who posted a URL to his webpage for a 16V he uses in Rallies in Europe and I think I noticed at the time that he had a similar system on his.
In his case, he had mounted the spheres remotely from the top of the struts somehow.
Can't remember his name now, but somebody may. He registered under his own name and I think it was he and his brother who had the car. I think there was some discussion at the time about how he was running 16V mechanicals with other model bodies due to the sunroofs not being allowed in competiton.
You may find it if you either run a search in the forum, or run through the members list and check out those not regularly on here and/or with only a handful of posts.

Alan S
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

think you mean this site Alan

http://www.briffa-sport.fr.st/
RichL
Tick Over

Post by RichL »

Much as I love the 16v, it would be nice to have the same engine, flyweight body shell, spacious and comfortable interior and superb grip but without having the constant nag in the back of my mind that the suspension isnt working right.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

need to sort your suspension then! :lol:
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

Vanny wrote:think you mean this site Alan

http://www.briffa-sport.fr.st/
That's the one:

http://briffa-sport.site.voila.fr/page4.html

brilliant piece of engineering. I'd suggest that the sphere shown may just be either off a D series (which I understand had removeable dampers) or possibly an accumulator sphere and the suspension controlled very much like the hydractive system.

Alan S