Rocker Cover

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
tim leech
7000 rpm

Rocker Cover

Post by tim leech »

Is it just a case of unbolting it, getting a new gasket and refitting guys? reason for asking I want to take mine off and get its stripped and painted as mines a bit tatty.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

you need to whip the plugs out too iirc, and make sure you keep the big rubber O rings or when you fit it back the plugs will get drowned in oil loL! (did that on mine!!)
i have a spare in the shed and would be more than happy to send it up to you to get that done as you want if you send me down the one you have on now when the other comes back if you want ?? save having the engien witht he rocker cover off for a period of time??
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

definately take timmo up on his offer Tim, can think of nothing worse than a stiff breeze blowing crud into the engine, could get the donour sorted out then do a straight swap too!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Very easy job, just make a note of where the long bolts go and where the short bolts go.

Don't have to take the plugs out, but do keep an eye out for the big rubber O rings as Tim said. Its also worth cleaning the groove out in the cover where the gasket sits....if any crap gets in there it won't seal properly, or worse damage the new gasket.

But easy stuff, one of the first jobs I did on an engine when I was 15 :lol:
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

No probs, my car lives in a garage and will be stripped and painted within the same day I expect and I will leave a cover over it whilst Im doing it, thanks for the offer timmo.

Cheers guys for the info
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

The middle bolt holes also have little rubber O rings round them, so watch you don't loose them either! They only cost about 50p each from the dealer if you wanted to replace them too.
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
1988 Volvo 360 GLT (for sale)
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

Well instead of opening a new topic i will ask a question here since is related to the gasket. My 16v had some sort of glue/silicon gasket before i bought it, but it is starting to let some oil out, and directly to the exaust mainfold, and so creating a lot of bad fumes.

I can't get a proper gasket right now, so i was thinking of using that "gasket replacement" glue/silicon to do the job, but since i didn't ever done that i have a few questions...

Ok so i need to take the plugs, and then i just take the bolts and the cover is of right?

Then i just clean the old gasket off, and any oil thats on the outside of the head.

Now about putting the "glue" on, how exactly do i do it? After i put the "glue" i imediatly put the cover on, and get the bolts in place or i wait a little before putting the cover on the glue?

And about putting the bolts in, a friend of mine told me that these covers can break easly if the bolts are too tight...

Ok some basic questions but it's the first time i get the cover off so i don't want to break something....

Oh and sorry for the strange english, since i'm studing for a exam and i'm awake since 3am ... (zzZZZZzzzz)
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

my last exam is in 2 hour and my loving house mates woke me up at 3.32 and 615 this morning, great!

As for sticking the cover back on i suspect it might depend on what sealant/glue that you use! In some cases you would just put sealant on teh cover, making a perfect bulging bead and let it dry almost completely, then bolt it down. Others you put the sealant on then stick it back down staight away!

Biggest worry you have is that overage (too much sealant) will squirt out of the gap both backwards into the engine and out to the air, obviously sealant in the engine wont do it any good! It will also need ot withstand high degree of heat, and most obviously be resistant to oil!
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Will a new gasket be sufficient then?
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

that and the o-rings! In ref to what morty was considering a genuine gasket IS the best option, assuming they are available!
csg100
3000 rpm

Post by csg100 »

I didn't replace the spark plug o-rings on mine as the dealer didn't have any at the time. Used a bit of sealant/instant gasket with the old ones instead (it was orange stuff - oil and heat proof) and it seems to have worked well enough.
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
1988 Volvo 360 GLT (for sale)
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

I have had similar problems with leaks and found a light coat of sealant on both sides of all gaskets was a must (ie) between cover and gasket and then between gasket and head, as well as both sides of the rings around the spark plugs.
More importantly and something too many forget is that the studs need to be tightened using a tension wrench or you'll end up with more problems than you started with if you happen to snap one (and have a heart attack when you go to buy new ones - A$45 each in Oz) :shock: and also, according to Citroen, those studs need to be tightened in sequence just like a cylinder head and also need to be tightened initially and then retightened.
I run 0W40 in my engine and it doesn't leak, so that should be fair evidence that this system works. :wink:

IIRC, the info is on here somewhere:

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/E ... 6vhead.pdf

Alan S
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Right lol I will out my paint brush out an dpaint it in situ, sounds like Im asking for trouble if I take it out.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

make sure you use high temp paints though! the cover gets pretty hot and std paint will fail and std laquer will go opaque! also worth giving it a really good clean to remove any oil thats likely to be there! as that will ruin the painting too! :)
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Post by Channel Hopper »

My mate did a very good job in situ, by cleaning up the rough parts with wire wool, then a toothbrush and solvol, gunk to clean off, finally spraying with lacquer used on motorcycle exhausts. Total cost was about 4 hours work and under £15.