Headbolts

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Anonymous

Headbolts

Post by Anonymous »

Does anyone know of a source for a headbolt conversion that use studs and nuts, rather than stretch bolts? The advantages of studs vs bolts is clearly outlined on ARP's head stud website.
By the way, did MK1s have electric sunroofs? Thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toddman
Administrator

bolts

Post by Toddman »

Never really looked into stretch bolt theory but have only seen and used them on alloy heads.
If you are not worried about using non stretch bolts/studs just measure the std bolts and have a look through some stud catalogues or pop into your local factors.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

I have 10 stretchbolts sat doing nowt if that helps?
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

arent yours for a xantia? does that mean there compatable?
jayw
5000 rpm

Re: Headbolts

Post by jayw »

tobytronic wrote:Does anyone know of a source for a headbolt conversion that use studs and nuts, rather than stretch bolts? Thanks.
What would the purpose of that be? I don't see anything to be gained (unless you're thinking of something i'm not).

AFAIK the purpose of stretch bolts is to expand/contract with the alloy without loosening. Using solid studs/nuts (if it were possible) would inhibit the alloy expanding and cause all sorts of unpleasent nastities.
Now listen here you mullet...
Anonymous

Re: Headbolts

Post by Anonymous »

jayw wrote:
tobytronic wrote:Does anyone know of a source for a headbolt conversion that use studs and nuts, rather than stretch bolts? Thanks.
What would the purpose of that be? I don't see anything to be gained (unless you're thinking of something i'm not).

AFAIK the purpose of stretch bolts is to expand/contract with the alloy without loosening. Using solid studs/nuts (if it were possible) would inhibit the alloy expanding and cause all sorts of unpleasent nastities.
Head studs are inherently stronger than bolts. I dont think that there would be any of the problems you suggest: Most F1 engines use them. I intend to supercharge my engine and wish to give the head gasket its best possible chance. I realise that there may be problems removing the cylinder head in situ. I have spoken to a couple of engineers, whom have both confifmed their superiority over bolts. Why would a respected firm such as ARP make the for other all alloy engines? Thanks
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The reason behind this is purely from a tightening point of view. Studs are commonly used where a high tightening torque is required in materials such as softer alloys, often copper based alloys or the same could be said for aluminium.

A stud of a given grade of HTS will have the same mechanical properties (namely tensile strength) as a bolt, whether that bolt be hex or cap head - the weakest point of any mechanical fixing is the 'root' of the thread.

When tightening, bolts have a tendancy to 'gaul' when torquing down an item where a highish clamping force is desired, therefore it is preferrential practice to use a stud in a correctly machined hole, this will all but eliminate damage to the alloy type material.
In addition studs are used where an item may be taken apart reasonably regulary, although as we all know 9 times out of 10 the stud will come out as well :lol: .
Apologies for the essay.

Tony
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

not overly sure witht he engine in place usiong studs you would be able to get the head off due to clearence issues??
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Nope Kitch mine are for a BX which i bought hoping thwy may fit a Xantia which they dont.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

check of refering to me as kitch, we have red cars thats as close as the similarilty goes! Are they proper 16v stretch bolts and what make? didnt realise they where for the BX and might well be interested (i figure its only a matter of minutes running before i'll need to have the head off!)
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

I dunno what make they are I was told they are a for a BX, you can have them gratis mate on the proviso IF I need any infuture and these fit my 16v you source me some?