306GTI-6 gearbox in my 16V

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

your right 5th in normal be3 and 6th in be3/6 nearly the same i think i'd like to find a 6th that would relax the beast a bit for long haul driving
wouldn't know where to start though i am definatly not a gearbox man !
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

I think Mike E converted his box, by taking a 5th gear cog from a diesel gearbox from a BX - dare say he will be on to confirm.

Think that changed his RPM to MPH ratio significantly.

Dan
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

TD 5th gear wasn't it Dan?

Calculating gearing is pretty easy once you reaslise what your trying to achieve, though i think if i had a 6 gear box there would be way too much to play with and too hard a decision to pick the cogs (all out speed, comfort cruising, waste a cog at the bottom to give a longer 'first', waste a cog at the top for motorway cruise), then again nearly all the PSA cars i have driven (and thats most of the current ranges bar C4+C6) are really in need of totally different setups and i always seem to be looking for a 6th gear.
Ford have it much better though, the old S-reg age transit doesn't have enough power to get to 5th gear so you never need anything more :D Oh and the new transits that do have the 6th gear absolutley fly but you can pretty muh drive them in nothing but the 6th gear, clever ford
christ did i just say that :roll:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

what he put a deisel 5th cog in place of the 6th?
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

No mate, I think he changed his 5th gear cog for that of a diesel, or a turbo diesel as Vanny mentioned.

PM him from the memberlist if you want a quick answer.

Dan
Toddman
Administrator

gears

Post by Toddman »

Yes Mike modified the 5th gearing on his 5 speed BX box to drop the revs a little for motorway cruising.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i'd like to do this sort of thing with the be3/6 i.e first 5 gears as is now in the normal be3 thats in the zx then have 6th set to relax the engine for cruising/motorways ect
Toddman
Administrator

gears

Post by Toddman »

whitty_zx wrote:i'd like to do this sort of thing with the be3/6 i.e first 5 gears as is now in the normal be3 thats in the zx then have 6th set to relax the engine for cruising/motorways ect
You could probably make a very usefull combo doing that whitty - IIRC the 6 speed box has a lower FD than the mi so fitting the mi Fd then using the first 5 as a std mi box then a nice low 6th gear would be great to give the car that quick punchyness in the first set then once into 6th nice nad relaxed for cruising.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

thats what i'd love luke just don't understand how to do it ! will have to find a good gearbox company but i dont know of any in my neck of woods
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Changing FD is not rocket science by any way,

It's all a straight swap, if You are unsure, find a broken or cheap box, dismantle it and You'll see it not that hard.

If You decide to swap it, call some of Your mates so they can help You get the box out, or any local garage can do it for You. You can do the swap thingy by Yourself.

Here are gbox ratios:

http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/downloads ... osGti6.xls

Cheers

Ziga
Image Don't run your life on diesel
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

ive got a spare 5 cog from a zx and i have gti6 box so id like to make 1 good one out of the two and then change the sixth gear to make a cruising gear
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

whitty_zx wrote:ive got a spare 5 cog from a zx and i have gti6 box so id like to make 1 good one out of the two and then change the sixth gear to make a cruising gear
Nice! IF it really makes a difference let me know, perhaps I'll try the same!
I've made the first payment yesterday, so 2 to go and It's all mine :D
The right axel has been found and purchased already so nothing should be standing in my way (except for those two payment)
You can't spell slaughter without laughter ->I just love my 16V<-
kriskarrera
Tick Over

Post by kriskarrera »

FD can't be swapped though. Unfortunately. GTI6 box with Mi FD would be perfect!
XU9J4 4ever
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Why?

Cheers

Ziga
Image Don't run your life on diesel
kriskarrera
Tick Over

Post by kriskarrera »

Can't remember exactly why but several people have told me so, including Miles on the 205 forum.
XU9J4 4ever