rust

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
iain a
3000 rpm

rust

Post by iain a »

my rear wheel arches are a wee bit rusty, offside rear...when you open the passenger door...its gonna need cutting out and rewelding...can anyone help?...know anyone not to far from luton to do it? :(
oh bugger!! What now?!?
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Iain, this is a common rust spot on all bxes, worth sanding it down first to see how bad it is, it may be just surface rust if you have caught it in time. As it where the rare quater meets teh door step section it can be a bit fiddly!
iain a
3000 rpm

Post by iain a »

nope its not just surface rust i'm afraid...i poked an 'ole in it i'm afraid....
oh bugger!! What now?!?
iain a
3000 rpm

Post by iain a »

its the bit between the seat and outer panel..part of the rear wheel arch...it needs cutting out and a new bit welded in...and some stonechip applied on the underneath aswell.. i was thinking of getting rid of the rust and fillering it up...but thats not how to do it proper...so the proper way would be best...
oh bugger!! What now?!?
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

Get it done sooner than later Iain, terminal rust in that exact area wrote off my first 16v years ago, this was years ago before i really knew what they were all about :oops:

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

The seam you talk of is worse on a 16v cos of the skirts as it makes it harder to get all the mud out at wash time--- my dad used to religiously put a hose up there for a couple of minutes a side to rinse the mud out.

Any way too late for that now! if you can get the seam clean with a sand blast gun you could just use fibreglass and seam sealer to seal it all back up again! but welding would be better 8) the welding is the easy bit but make sure whoever does it uses a gritblsater to celan up aroiund it and seals it properly, its all too asy to trap more crap in there with schultz and underseal and acheive nothing!!
incidentally Jezzie how did the seam get so bad to affect anything structural? the cosmetic bits easy enough to bodge up so no one knows................ :lol:

ollie
iain a
3000 rpm

Post by iain a »

http://i13.tinypic.com/42vg49c.jpg

heres a pic of the rust....
oh bugger!! What now?!?
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

ollie wrote: incidentally Jezzie how did the seam get so bad to affect anything structural? the cosmetic bits easy enough to bodge up so no one knows................ :lol:

ollie
The rust had gone right round underneath in the whole area near the rear suspention mounts, the whole rear off side of the car was rotton.

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

I know the area :? if you have the back seats up check its dry underneath as the sunroof drain problems can fill that box section up through the subframe mount accces hole. Factory covers it with tape.
Waxoyl and then some fresh gaffer probally helps!

OLLIE