How to do BX pipes

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Anonymous

How to do BX pipes

Post by Anonymous »

I thought I would share a few tips on doing the front/rear hydraulic pipes.
Any further comments welcome.
Since 1985ish I think I must have done about 40+ repipes on BXs, so heres some of what I've learnt:
A wheel free vehicle hoist is the ideal, but the following assumes you are doing it on the ground. These are tips and NOT a full blow-by-blow account.

1. Get car up as high as poss on 4 x axle stands on strong areas of sills.
2. Remove full exhaust (not front pipe).
3. Here's the crafty bit: unbolt the two rear suspension mounts in the boot. This allows the rear subframe to swing down under its own weight and allows you loads more access, purists may wish to disconnect the height control rod to avoid stress. The rear wheels and spare should have also been removed by now!
4. Identify each new pipe with its old partner.
5. Only do one pipe at once. Rusty/rounded pipes shoud be cut off and a single hex 1/4 dr socket used.
6. Amazingly the official Citroen line was/is that it is permissible to reuse any undamaged pipe seals. I've been doing it for years with no problems.
The rubber used is a non aging high quality substance.
7. The pipe clips on most BXs will be tired by now, so buy a few backups before starting.
8. The Pipes into the alloy Rr brake/susp units usually only come out with heat and decent (ie new ) Vise Grips.
9. Keep the pipe ends covered until the last moment. I've only done it once, but even a tiny bit of muck will block up a pipe and drive you insane.
10. If your doing the ones that go up to the brake valve, remove it, to fit the short pipes, its easier that way. Follow the colour code on these pipes.
11. Make sure the four pipes dont rub where they go over the subframe: even Citroen got this one wrong on a few cars. The suspension may not rise until its back on the floor and the HP pump primed.
12. Have fun. Maybe more to follow. If you do the job methodically and slowly, its not as daunting as they first seem, and you'll save yoursell at least £200 in the process.