blew my head gasket

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
mechuccio
3000 rpm

blew my head gasket

Post by mechuccio »

Well, not too nice all this :(

Yesterday after I visited my parents I drove back home, just about a mile befor I came home I stopped to deliver a laptop that I repaired. 10 minutes later I start my car, drive away and within 20 meters I hear a bang, and My enine has just 1 working cilinder left :(
At first I thought of a backfire (happened before since I'm driving on autogas) but unfortunately that wasn't the case.
I popped the hood and I could feel a lot of hot air coming from onder the head, as well as a very strong fuel smell (I switched tot fuel when I thought it was a backfire. I couldn't check it properly (I've got 2 exams right now) I drove home poorly on one cilinder, but my little red friend brought me home! It's a bit shitty because I just 10.000 km's ago switched my timing belt. But well, this afternoon I'll start working on my engine to get the head off. And I hope that there isn't too much damage done.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter ->I just love my 16V<-
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

bummer matey! hope its a simple fix for you!!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

Bugger, that really sucks, i hate it when huge failures happen. hope it fixes quickly and easily for ya.

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
ed_straker
3000 rpm

Post by ed_straker »

Doesnt the engine run at hotter temperatures when running on gas?
So i hope that doesnt happen again.
Honda Civic Type S
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Well, it seems that there's some sunny sky behind the clouds.
Yesterday evening when it happened it was already dark, and it scared the sh*t out of me when I felt all that hot air (even some hints of flames :shock: ) so immediately I turned of the engine.
After a quick call to my father I decided to drive home with it since it was less than a kilometer from home.

I couldn't check it further yesterday because I had 2 heavy exams today and had still some studying to do (even at 22:00)
Anyway, I passed the exams. Got home around 18:30 Drove my car into the garage (horrible horrible engine sounds, but running, and it started fast as usual) Then when I popped the hood with running engine I could see the sparkplug cover moving up and down agressively.

I removed it and found the 2nd sparkplug to be completely loose, and its cap busted. I haven't touched the sparkplugs since I have this car, I did replace the cables and distibution-cap. So my guess for now is that it just came loose in the last 25.000 kilometers :shock:

Anyway, my father is coming tomorrow early in the morning with a compression-tester, and then I'll find out if there really is some damage, I could see no hints what so ever of shattered steel when I looked into the shaft with a light, so perhaps this is just some sick april fools joke by my car :lol:

My hopes are up nevertheless :D

I'll keep you posted! thanks for your compassion!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

OOOH! sounds like it could be a bit of good news then! Fingers crossed for you matey!

Congrats onthe exams too btw!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Thank you and thank god :D

My father came by with his compression meter, and it had a VERY nice compression of 15 BAR on each cilinder :shock: and that even after taking over 300.000 kilometers and the last 150.000 on autogas :D

There was some damage though, we couldn't get the compression meter in the 2nd cilinder properly, but after screwing in a new sparkplug it fitted fine.

So I must say that I'm quite content with the outcome of this problem :D