Fitting 2.0 16v sump in the 1.9 16v engine

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
soupapes
4000 rpm

Fitting 2.0 16v sump in the 1.9 16v engine

Post by soupapes »

I just bought on ebay a ZX 16v alloy sump with the baffle plate to mount in my BX.

Anyone already mounted this type of sump in the 1.9 engine? The standart gasket should fit this sump right? The BX AC compressor fits the mounting of this sump?
Last edited by soupapes on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

No problems, it is a straight fit.

If You keep the spacer plate, which is recomended cos You can put more oil in, You will have to extend oil pick up.

If You choose to remove space plate (I dont know if sump its self is as strong as the plate) You have no worries regarding fitting.

Dont know about compressor to be honest, but I guess it will fit.

Cheers

Ziga
Image Don't run your life on diesel
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

Mandic wrote:No problems, it is a straight fit.

If You keep the spacer plate, which is recomended cos You can put more oil in, You will have to extend oil pick up.

If You choose to remove space plate (I dont know if sump its self is as strong as the plate) You have no worries regarding fitting.

Dont know about compressor to be honest, but I guess it will fit.

Cheers

Ziga
So the 2.0 sump is more fund than the 1.9 model?
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

fund?
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

Mandic wrote:fund?
more deep. My english is not the best...
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

tin sump + spacer plate = alloy sump

So yes, as a sump alone 2.0 is deeper, but is You take tin sump with spacer plate they're as deep as alloy one.

Like I said, keep spacer plate and put alloy sump on. This will "deepen" the sump (around 15 or 17mm, dont remember exactly), so You will be able to put cca 1l more oil in, but You will have to extend the oil pick up as well. Take the perforated cover off, weld aluminum ring around the pickup and then put the cover back on (if necessary secure it with screws).

This way You'll have less surge issues.

If You wanna go even further, buy XU11D oil pump. They have different gear ratio and also some other gizmos which contribute to better oil control.

Fitting windage tray is also a good idea.

Cheers

Ziga
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

Please correct me if i am wrong, but if im going to maintain the original dipstick, the oil level is going UP with the new sump, so i wil have more oil and the level will be synchronized with the dipstick (at the same level of the dipstick), so is it really necessary to extend the oil pick up in the pump?
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

the issue arrises when you go round a corner and all the extra oil end up at the other end of the sump, extending the pump pick up practically guarantees there is always oil!

Got anymore info on the XU11d pump mandic?

To my knowledge both the BX pump and the Xantia AC pumps have the same mounts (i have both ac sumps so could check), so i would suspect that the ZX has the same mounts as well and thus the AC pump from the BX should fit.
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

On the outside pumps are identical bar guard mounting XU11D/XU10TE pump has to which oil pump baffle can be attcahed.

However there is overall difference. XU11D/XU10TE pump spins faster as it has larger crank sprocket and gears are different.

So more pressure at lower sppeeds. Also spring is a tad stiffer.

Cheers

Ziga
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

Mandic wrote:On the outside pumps are identical bar guard mounting XU11D/XU10TE pump has to which oil pump baffle can be attcahed.

However there is overall difference. XU11D/XU10TE pump spins faster as it has larger crank sprocket and gears are different.

So more pressure at lower sppeeds. Also spring is a tad stiffer.

Cheers

Ziga
Very good info :wink:
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

Is it the 2.0 16v oil pump deeper than the 1.9 one?

If so, does it feet the 1.9 engine?
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

Try looking on 205gtidrivers.com forum, there is alot of info on this mod on there. I've been looking into it myself as mine suffers from this problem, its a little bit confusing with all the combinations, i understood that the alloy sump + spacer gave you a deeper sump, but the mi16s have an alloy sump and spacer from the factory dont they? all the ones ive seen have even the ones without aircon. hmmm
The stronger pump spring and faster spin that the diesel pump and the GTi6 (correct me if im wrong) pump gives sounds like a good solution, along with a baffled sump with a trap door in it, stops oil moving away from the pump but allows free movement towards it.
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

Simran wrote:Try looking on 205gtidrivers.com forum, there is alot of info on this mod on there. I've been looking into it myself as mine suffers from this problem, its a little bit confusing with all the combinations, i understood that the alloy sump + spacer gave you a deeper sump, but the mi16s have an alloy sump and spacer from the factory dont they? all the ones ive seen have even the ones without aircon. hmmm
The stronger pump spring and faster spin that the diesel pump and the GTi6 (correct me if im wrong) pump gives sounds like a good solution, along with a baffled sump with a trap door in it, stops oil moving away from the pump but allows free movement towards it.
The original 1.9 sump have the spacer, but i am really thinking to replace the original oil pump with the one from the Zx 16v such as the sump with the trap door.
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

I found this:

http://www.taylor-eng.com/sump/wetsump.htm

Seems to be very good info.
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
Toddman
Administrator

sump

Post by Toddman »

Fitting the later trap door sump virtually eliminates the starvation trouble found with the mi - using the spacer as well to give more capacity is just a belt and braces approach but worth doing if you extend the pick up as well.

Garys racer utilised the trap door sump and suffered no trouble whilst racing.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch