key stuck in ignition.

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Andy G
Tick Over

key stuck in ignition.

Post by Andy G »

Its not in a 16v but a GTi.
The tip of the key is broken and stuck in the ignition? The ignition is being replaced on Thursday but how do I get the key out? I can see the end of it.

The problem is (or was) I was unable to get the key in to start the car, suddenly after 20mins of trying in it went, only for part of it to stay in when I removed the key at the other end of my journey.

Any tips would be welcome....
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hello, the only way i've managed it in the past, is to demolish the lock barrel.
Andy G
Tick Over

Post by Andy G »

I agree, I think I'll have to use the screwdriver method!
Andy G
Tick Over

Post by Andy G »

well I got the key bit out, so level playing field so far.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

do you have a spare key? its VERY difficult to get the barrel out without the key in it unless you remove the whole upper steering column!
Andy G
Tick Over

Post by Andy G »

I have a spare key, but the thing just will not go into the lock more than halfway! It feals like there's something in there preventing the key from going all the way (this is how the original key broke as that wouldn't go in either). I'll plug the new barrel in, start the car, move it into the garage and either use a small drill to remove the old barrel or a screw driver to break the strangle hold the old lock appears to have.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

well my uncle who's been in the fabrication buisness for 20+ years hates this job as it was a complete pig to do. My suggestion is that you remove the upper steering column section (the big brass looking bit) as its only 5 bolts to remove it, you can then hammer away at it on the bench without risking the car!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

if you have a spare barrel then when i had my key snap in my 309 barrel i simply got a decent largish drill bit (size of the inner section of the barrell and drilled the b#gger out! didnt take long! and also meant the barrell could come out easy too as normally youneed the key to turn it onto ignition 1 to remove it!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Andy G
Tick Over

Post by Andy G »

finally managed to get the spare key in, the barrel is completely u/s. New one should have been here today but I am assured will be here tommorow?
Have it safely stashed in the garage now (was 200yds up the road) so can work on it in relative comfort....
Toddman
Administrator

barrel

Post by Toddman »

Sadly a common problem but often you can see insod ethe barrel and a pin will have fallen down blocking the pasth of the key and sometimes you can get a thinn piece of stiff wire and push the pin back up allowimng the key entry.

Good luck with the new barrel they are not bad to fit at all once old one is out.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Andy G
Tick Over

Post by Andy G »

done it, took about an hour or so, I couldn't see where the plug connector was until I pulled back part of the trim for the transmission. Hardest bit was replacing the steering colum trim, but its done now and more importantly it all works!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Glad to hear your all sorted matey!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!